Percona makes MySQL more valuable to customers and the community. Our MySQL Consulting, Support, Training, Remote DBA, and Server Development services as well as open source MySQL software help people achieve breakthrough results with MySQL.
Our MySQL Consulting and Support teams are in a class of their own. Our expertise is visible in our widely read MySQL Performance blog and our book High Performance MySQL. We also create and maintain the oldest independent version of the MySQL database server (Percona Server), the only open-source hot backup solution for MySQL (Percona XtraBackup), and many more uniquely valuable software tools such as Percona Toolkit for MySQL users.
Discover what it means to work with the smartest people in the industry, solving the most challenging problems our customers can dream up and throw at you. Work from home, with some required travel. Great benefits, flexible hours, and a chance to be part of a company that's changing the industry.
Percona is the oldest and largest independent MySQL support and consulting company with a global, 24x7 staff of nearly 100 serving more than 2,000 customers in 50+ countries since 2006.
**You may work remotely from anywhere in the Russian Federation or surrounding countries, though you will need to be able to travel occasionally to conferences, events, company meetings, and more. **
The position of Linux & Web System Administrator (SA) will work with other SA's on day to day operational tasks, troubleshooting, and supporting a very diverse and complex business technology infrastructure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Linux Administration including configuration, troubleshooting, and automation
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Troubleshoot a wide variety of performance, security, and operational issues in the LAMP Stack
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies
- Design, analyze and implement complex Linux based systems that meet our requirements
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
- Provide peers with expert level advice and knowledge on a wide variety of infrastructure topics
- Develop Backend tools that help meet our needs
- Participate in OnCall rotation and responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice
- Keep documentation up to date
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in written form, technical information with a wide variety of individuals and groups
- 4 or more years experience as a system administrator in a Linux Environment
- 4 or more years experience in building, configuring and troubleshooting cloud based servers
- Ability to analyze and work in entire stack from hardware to code
- Problem solving and decision making abilities. Position deals with a variety of complex problems, and decisions normally have a noticeable effect on department and company.
- Knowledge of hardware and software installation, testing, and operation; knowledge of application of computer software for automating highly diverse business unit/organization activities
- Detailed knowledge and the ability to configure, tune, and troubleshoot multiple web servers & Application servers for instance Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, Tomcat, Jboss, Node.js, etc
- Detailed knowledge and the ability to configure, tune, and troubleshoot multiple NoSQL and SQL Databases for instance MongoDB, Hadoop, Redis, Cassandra, Postgres, MysQL
- Detailed knowledge and the ability to configure, tune, and troubleshoot multiple 3rd party software packages for instance Jira, Confluence, Nagios, Bacula, FreePBX, etc.
- Detailed knowledge and the ability to configure, tune, and troubleshoot components of real-time reporting and business intelligence systems for instance Kafka, Storm, IBM Cognos, d3js, Cassandra, etc.
- Detailed knowledge and the ability to configure, tune, and troubleshoot OpenVZ, VMWare virtualization products
- Detailed knowledge and the ability to setup and build automation tools/scripts/recipes with tools like Chef and Puppet
- Ability to read and help troubleshoot code in multiple languages like Ruby, PHP, Perl, Python
- Ability to learn and master new technologies and applications
- Ability to support complex production environment remotely
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of remote individuals